REGULAR BOARD MEETING
Pursuant to due call and notice thereof, the regular meeting of the School Board of Independent School District No. 227, Olmsted, Fillmore and Winona Counties was held on February 16, 2016. The meeting was called to order at 7:00 p.m. at the high school media center. Roll call was taken with these members present: McMahon, LaPlante, Chase, Backer and Isensee. Tuohy was absent. Superintendent-Edward Harris, High School Principal-Randy Paulson, Elementary Principal-Craig Ihrke, Community Education Director-LuAnn Klevan and Administrative Assistant-LuAnn Hare were also present.
Mr. Chase called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. Members present said the Pledge of Allegiance.
McMahon/Backer motion to approve the agenda with these changes:
9.2 Approve 2017 Senior Class Raffle
9.4 Approve posting for Administrative Assistant Position
9.5 Approve maternity leave reques t- Jayna Harstad
9.7 Approve additional Fund Raiser- Pep Club
Motion carried 5-0.
Îsensee/LaPlante motion to approve the Claims and Accounts as presented. Motion carried 5-0.
Isensee/McMahon motion to approve the following Consent Items:
• Approve regular and special meeting minutes of January 19, 2016
• Approve resignation/retirement- LuAnn Hare, May 31, 2016
• Approve posting for Administrative Assistant Position
• Approve maternity leave request- Jayna Harstad
• Approve School Represen-tative and Board Representative to Minnesota State High School League-Edward Harris and Greg LaPlante
• Approve additional Fund Raiser-Pep Club
Motion carried 5-0.
LaPlante/Backer motion to approve the following district policies:
#205 Open Meeting and Closed Meeting
#206 Public Participation in School Board Meetings
#208 Development, Adoption and Implementation of Policies
#406 Public and Private Personnel Data
#419 Tobacco Free Environment
#421 Gifts to Employees
Motion carried 5-0.
McMahon/LaPlante motion to approve annual CCTV payment for Streaming Video/City of Chatfield $5,000 Matt/Greg. Motion carried 5-0
Greg Crowe with Ehlers and Associates was present to review with the board the outstanding debt from the 2007 elementary school building bonds and that the board had the opportunity to refinance those bonds to lessen the debt service levy (reduce tax impact). He explained the limitations on how and when that could be done. It wasn't until this past January that this became feasible. It was recommended to take advantage of the current interest rates which have only been this low twice in the last 10 years. This savings could reduce the net tax impact on property owners should a project similar to the one from last November be proposed. If approved the actual sale of the bonds will be on March 21, 2016.
Member LaPlante introduced the following resolution and moved its adoption:
RESOLUTION PROVIDING FOR THE SALE OF GENERAL OBLIGATION SCHOOL BUILDING REFUNDING BONDS, SERIES 2016A; AND COVENANTING AND OBLIGATING THE DISTRICT TO BE BOUND BY AND TO USE THE PROVISIONS OF MINNESOTA STATUTES, SECTION 126C.55 TO GUARANTEE THE PAYMENT OF THE PRINCIPAL AND INTEREST ON THESE BONDS
BE IT RESOLVED by the School Board of Independent School District No. 227, State of Minnesota, as follows:
1. Bond Authorization. The School Board has determined that it is necessary and expedient to issue $15,935,000 General Obligation School Building Refunding Bonds, Series 2016A.
2. Sale. The District has retained Ehlers & Associates, Inc. (Ehlers) in Roseville, Minnesota, as its independent municipal advisor for the Bonds. Ehlers is authorized to solicit proposals in accordance with Minnesota Statutes, Section 475.60, Subdivision 2(9). If the issuance of the Bonds is approved, the School Board shall meet at the time and place specified in the Official Statement to receive and consider proposals for the purchase of the Bonds.
3. Official Statement; Negotia-tion of Sale. Ehlers is authorized to prepare and distribute an Official Statement and to open, read and tabulate the proposals for presentation to the Board.
4. Minnesota School District Credit Enhancement Program. (a) The District hereby covenants and obligates itself to notify the Commissioner of Education of a potential default in the payment of principal and interest on the "Bonds" and to use the provisions of Minnesota Statutes, Section 126C.55 to guarantee payment of the principal and interest on the Bonds when due.
The District further covenants to deposit with the Registrar or any successor paying agent three (3) days prior to the date on which a payment is due an amount sufficient to make that payment or to notify the Commissioner of Education that it will be unable to make all or a portion of that payment. The Registrar for the Bonds is authorized and directed to notify the Commissioner of Education if it becomes aware of a potential default in the payment of principal or interest on the Bonds or if, on the day two (2) business days prior to the date a payment is due on the Bonds, there are insufficient funds to make that payment on deposit with the Registrar. The District understands that as a result of its covenant to be bound by the provision of Minnesota Statutes, Section 126C.55, the provisions of that section shall be binding as long as any Bonds of this issue remain outstanding.
(b) The District further covenants to comply with all procedures now and hereafter established by the Departments of Management and Budget and Education of the State of Minnesota pursuant to Minnesota Statutes, Section 126C.55, subdivision 2(c) and otherwise to take such actions as necessary to comply with that section. The chair, clerk, superintendent or business manager is authorized to execute any applicable Minnesota Department of Education forms.
The motion for adoption of the foregoing resolution was duly seconded by Member McMahon, and upon vote being taken thereon, the following voted in favor thereof: Isensee, McMahon, Chase, Backer and LaPlante.
and the following voted against the same: none
whereupon the resolution was declared duly passed and adopted. Motion carried 5-0.
Backer/McMahon motion to approve Chatfield Education Associ-ation (CEA) Contract 2015-2016, 2016-2017. Motion carried 5-0.
LaPlante/Isensee motion to approve Administrative Assistant Contract 2015-2016. Motion carried 5-0.
Isensee/McMahon motion to approve Community Education Directors Contract 2015-16, 2016-17. Motion carried 5-0.
Backer/LaPlante motion to approve Technology Coordinators Contract 2015-2016, 2016-2017. Motion carried 5-0.
LaPlante/McMahon motion to approve SACC Coordinators Contract 2015-2016, 2016-2017. Motion carried 5-0.
McMahon/Isensee motion to approve Data Systems Assistants Contract 2015-2016-, 2016-2017. Motion carried 5-0.
Mr. Chase noted the following future meetings and event dates:
•February 19: No School
•March 21: Regular School Board Meeting, 7:00 p.m.
•March 24, 25, 28: No School Spring Break
McMahon/Isensee motion to adjourn at 7:58. Motion carried 5-0.
Scott Backer, Clerk